The oatmeal diet is a simple and effective method for losing weight when implemented correctly. Oats also have great nutritional value plus it tends to be a very filling food in your stomach which will help you follow a calorie-restricted diet. It is important to know that this program does not mean to replace all daily meals with oatmeal. This does not provide daily adequate nutrition and can result in extremely negative health effects.
Oatmeal Diet Benefits
Oats can provide the energy and strength to help individuals through their every day busy life. Oats are inexpensive and widely available at most any type of store. It provides body fiber and fuel as well as many other extremely nutritional benefits.
- Oatmeal, oat bran, and oats themselves contain a special type of fiber called beta-glucan. It has been shown that consuming this reduces cholesterol levels dramatically.
- They also contain a very unique combination of antioxidants. These are known as Davenant ceramides and assist in preventing free radicals from damaging LDL cholesterol. This action thereby reduces the risks of cardiovascular disease.
- Beta-glucan, the specific fiber in oats, enhances the body’s immune system and its response to infections of bacteria. This fiber assists in the navigation of neutrophils and increases their ability to rid the body of bacteria. Neutrophils are the most abundantly found non-specific immune cell within the body.
- Oatmeal reduces and stabilizes blood sugar levels, which is extremely beneficial for those suffering from or who are predisposed to diabetes.
- The fiber content of oats helps the body eliminate toxins throughout the entire body, soothes the digestive system, and provides a satisfying feeling that is long-lasting.
Is Oatmeal Good For Weight Loss
- Replace breakfast and lunch with oatmeal. These meals can include dried fruit or other simple ways to dress up the oatmeal but 90% of the calories should be from the oatmeal. For dinner, you should have a balanced dinner of about 600 calories.
- Incorporate oatmeal into everyone’s meal. The target is to have about 50% of your daily diet be oatmeal-based with the rest coming from a standard balance of fruits, vegetables, and meat.
Both versions have been shown to have similar results. People on the oatmeal diet consume fewer calories, continue to get their basic daily nutritional requirements, and are usually able to experience very few hunger attacks.
How to Start Oatmeal Diet
The first step is to replace the usual morning breakfast of coffee and doughnuts with a half cup of oatmeal. This does not have to be plain. Spice it up with skim milk or soy milk, reduced-fat buttery flavored spread, raisins, and/or cinnamon. Experiment and find delicious and wholesome combinations. Try adding a serving of fresh fruit to this meal. Create a lunch from a half of a cup of oatmeal and an equal amount of flavored, low-fat yogurt. There are numerous flavors of yogurt to choose from. Another combo eliminates sugar altogether and goes for savory by adding a serving of scrumptiously seasoned and roasted veggies. The oatmeal with yogurt option could be used as a healthy mid-day snack.
Calories In Oatmeal
It has been suggested that individuals limit their caloric intake to between 900 and 1,000 calories per day for the initial 7 days. The benefits of the first 7 days are to cleanse the digestive system and jump-start the diet. They should then raise the intake to between 1,000 and 1,300 for the next 30 days. This is something that should be done under the supervision of a medical professional, especially if the person is suffering from any disease or injury. It is strongly recommended to retain the oatmeal in the meal plan as the normal diet is resumed.
Physical activity With Oatmeal Diet
Physical activity is important to all individuals no matter the diet or the goal of the diet. Physical activity can range from intense weight training and hikes in the mountains to simple walks in the park and playing with the kids in the yard. The first step is to choose an activity and then perform it on a routine basis. Exercise is a wonderful way to involve the family as well as a great way to spend quality time together. Both are extremely important to overall positive health and well-being. Heath is a cycle that includes mental, emotional, and physical. When one of these suffers negative effects they all do. Being happy and satisfied individuals is very important to be physically healthy.